Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Some Clarity Would Be Nice

Thank you to Arielle for the mixes over the years. I have been slacking in this department, but I took some time and created a brief collection that expresses me very well...here are my tunes! Sorry this is very lengthy, but it has to be. At least check out the great lyrics on each song if you don't read the whole post. :)
  1. Dog Days are Over (Florence and the Machine) - This song is emotionally charged, which really describes my recent self. Great lyric: Happiness hit her like a bullet.
  2. I'm Moving On (Rascal Flatts) - This song holds holds all the words that I needed to believe that everyone was saying to me. Its a sing that really shows the truth of having to do what is right for you, even if it sucks to admit you need to. Great lyric: I've loved like I should, but lived like a shouldn't.
  3. When the Tears Fall (Tim Hughes) - I had many a night where I was bawling asking "why?" with seemingly no answer. I was not so good at the praising part, but I truly grasp this song. Great lyric: When my heart aches, Lord, are you there?
  4. The Warrior (Scandal) - No mix is complete without an 80's hair glam song. I am totally empowered by this song...no real reason. Great lyric: Shooting down the walls of heartache BANG! BANG! I am the Warrior!
  5. Everything is Everything (Lauryn Hill) - This song in the musical equivalent to my recent catch phrase "it is what it is." Plus, Hill has a beautiful voice. Great lyric: Everything is everything.
  6. The Long Way Around (Dixie Chicks) - There is not really a better way to explain this song. Just listen to the words. You'll get it. Great lyric: Guess I could have made it easier on myself.
  7. Filled with Your Glory (Westmont Chapel Band) - This song brought me back to my roots. To Arielle, Helen, Hayley, Rusti, Cory, Mary...to the place where my faith really started to take shape. It also taught me about community. That among the family that isn't blood, but bond, I can recover from this and my faith can be stronger. Great lyric: As the fire is raging on, your word becomes my song.
  8. Drumming Song (Florence and the Machine) - It invokes that sense of something that you can't escape thinking about. I have spent a ton of time trying to get away from my thoughts, but unfortunately the thoughts don't stop. The truth is my fears and hurts and joys circle my head with extreme ferver and at night sometimes it feels just like a drumming. Great lyric: There's a drumming noise inside my head that throws me to the ground.
  9. Home (Michael Buble') - Home is the concept that I long for so much... The tone of this song just displays that yearning for home. Great lyric: May be surrounded by a million people, I still feel all alone.
  10. Come Close (Ginny Owens) - This song sounds like a prayer and kinda like a stream of consciousness to God. I love the rawness of it Great lyric: My heart will not let go, until you come close.
  11. Need You To Love Me (BarlowGirl) - This whole process has left my re-evaluating everything, and praying to God for the basics. That my faith be restored and that I understand His love. Great lyric: Your love makes me see who I really am.
  12. The Heart of the Matter (India.Arie) - I heard this song while rediscovering India.Arie...the song had me in tears (granted, not very hard) within the first verse, and kept me there for the entire song. I'm finally in this place. Great lyrics: I've been learning to live without you, But I miss you baby. (and) I've been trying to get down to the heart of the matter, but my will gets weak and my heart is so shattered.
  13. Don't Stop Believin' (Journey) - This song needs no explanation. Great lyric: Hold on to that feelin'!
  14. If You Say Go (Westmont Chapel Band) - I have sung this song a thousand times, both in times of frustration and in times of celebration. Its really a comfort song to me. I have been asked a lot if I could do what is right, even if its the hard choice. And I can. Thank for my friends who "go" along with me. Don't get me wrong, most of the time I go kicking and screaming. my faith has survived this, pressed but not crushed. Great lyric: If you call us to the fire, we will not withdraw our hand.
  15. New Soul (Yael Naim) - This quirky song fits how I am feeling in my best of times. Kind of that fall down and being able to laugh way. Great lyric: Finding trust and love is not always easy to make.
  16. A Beautiful Day (India.Arie) - India is awesome at taking biblical truths and setting it to music. This song embodies the scripture that says "His mercies are new every morning." Great lyric: Life is a challenge, not a competition.
  17. Faithful To Me (Jennifer Knapp) - I have often sung this prayer. At times of guilt, regret, reconciliation, and redemption. Its a great closure to my mix, because it leaves things open...the process is not over and I am far from figuring everything out. But I am recognizing faith during this time. Great lyric: I have cast my lots, dropped my guard, searched aimlessly, for a faith to be faithful to me.
El fin! Hope you enjoy. I recommend listening to these tunes...let me know if you need help finding any recordings! Oh and just a heads up, this took me a long time to complete, like over a week. I'd be curious to know what songs would be rocking on your current events mix.

Loves!

3 comments:

  1. Loved reading everyone of these, you can tell so much about a heart based on the music that moves it:) Thanks for sharing yours!

    Glad your trip was awesome and glad you're back, xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice mix. Right now I'm loving "Arms Open Wide", "You Won't Relent", "Desert Song", "You Hold Me Now", "What Do I Know of Holy", "I Am God" (Kirk Franklin/TobyMac), "In Christ Alone", "Lead Me to the Cross" (Hillsong version)...just to get started. :) Kids love singing "Another Hallelujah" so we listen to that often, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you've got some excellent songs on here :)

    ReplyDelete